With every new generation in the Pokemon franchise comes a new set of rules for its official Video Game Championships (VGC) tournaments.
The Pokemon Company has recently revealed the rules it will be using for VGC 2020, which is based on the latest titles Pokemon Sword And Shield. Although the rules this time are pretty much the same as previous years, they do contain additional clauses about which Pokemon are allowed to Gigantamax, with the list set to expand over time.
Check them out below:
- All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.
- Each player will need their own Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite and a physical or digital version of Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield to compete.
- Pokémon will need to have the Galar symbol, showing they were caught in the Galar region.
- All Pokémon from the Galar Regional Pokédex will be permitted except for Mythical Pokémon and certain Legendary Pokémon.
- All Pokémon will be set to Lv. 50, including Pokémon below Lv. 50.
- Duplicate Pokémon will not be allowed.
- Duplicate held items will not be allowed.
- Each battle will begin with a 90-second Team Preview phase.
- Players will have 7 minutes of Your Time, 45 seconds of Move Time, and (now returning to the VGC) 15 minutes of Game Time in each battle.
- Only select Pokemon will be able to Gigantamax, this list will expand over time as they become more common
- Charizard (only permitted with the Ability Blaze)
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.