It looks like Nintendo are having yet another runaway month of success in Japan!
Famitsu has released the sales figures for Japan’s gaming market in July 2020, with Animal Crossing: New Horizons emerging on top in terms of software sales at 275,678 units sold within the month. This was in spite of Ghost of Tsushima launching to massive praise on the PS4 recently. Meanwhile, Paper Mario: The Origami King debuted at 3rd place:
01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 275.678 [14% decrease from June 2020]
02. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 266.302 [NEW]
03. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King – 159.735 [NEW]
04. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 145.689 [NEW]
05. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 134.751 [NEW]
As for hardware, the Nintendo Switch continued to dominate Japan with a total of 387,557 units sold in July 2020 – a 31% jump from June 2020 (which saw 295,606 Switch units sold). PS4 and Xbox One hardware sales were easily dwarfed by this figure:
- Switch – 387,557 (of which 72,199 were Switch Lite consoles)
- PS4 – 13,940
- Xbox One – 150
- 3DS + 2DS – 3,679
Will Nintendo and Animal Crossing once again emerge victorious in Japan’s August 2020 sales charts? We’ll just have to wait and see then!