Nintendo has announced the date, time, and venue for their 81st annual general meeting of shareholders, where Nintendo’s shareholders will vote on various proposals related to the company.
This time, the meeting will be held on June 29th 2021 with the following topics on the agenda:
- The Business Report, Consolidated Financial Statements for the Company’s 81st Fiscal Year (April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021) and results of audits by the Accounting Auditor and the Audit and Supervisory Committee of the Consolidated Financial Statements
- Non-Consolidated Financial Statements for the Company’s 81st Fiscal Year (April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
- Proposal No. 1: Distribution of Surplus [i.e. how the money made during the previous Fiscal Year will be used]
- Proposal No. 2: Election of Six Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members)
- The following Directors are up to be elected or re-elected
- Shuntaro Furukawa (Director, Representative Director and President): re-election
- Shigeru Miyamoto (Director / Representative Director / Fellow): re-election
- Shinya Takahashi (Director / General Manager, Entertainment Planning & Development Division / Supervisor of Business Development Division, Development Administration & Support Division / Senior Managing Executive Officer): re-election
- Ko Shiota (General Manager, Platform Technology Development Division / Director / Senior Executive Officer): re-election
- Satoru Shibata (Outside Director of The Pokémon Company, Director / General Manager, Marketing Division / General Manager, Licensing Division / In charge of Planning Department): re-election
- Chris Meledandri (Founder of Illumination Entertainment CEO of Illumination Entertainment): election as Outside Director Independent Officer.
Regarding the Directors up for election, the inclusion on Illumination’s CEO is of notable interest. According to official documentation, Melendandri is being considered with the expectation that he will provide objective and “valuable advice” as an outside director to the company. Although not explicitly stated, Illumination’s role in developing the new Super Mario movie might have also been a key factor.
Mr. Chris Meledandri, founder of Illumination Entertainment, has gained extensive experience creating films as a producer. We request his election as a new Outside Director with the expectation that he will provide valuable advice, while appropriately supervising our company’s management from an objective perspective, based on his broad experience and insight gained as a CEO and in the field of entertainment.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.