It looks like Nintendo Switch sales are only going stronger than before.
NPD has released a new statement declaring Nintendo as “the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation” in the US. Along with robust hardware sales, Nintendo’s heavy-hitters are scoring big as well.
Here are some highlights:
- Nintendo hardware and dollar sales for 2018 are at their highest since 2011.
- eShop sales have grown by 105 percent since 2017
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 3 million copies in just 11 days
- Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! have sold 2 million copies in total
- Super Mario Party has sold 1.4 million copies to date
Check out the full details below.
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation through 21 months, according to The NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. From its launch in March 2017 through November 2018, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 8.7 million units, outpacing U.S. sales of all other current-generation systems at the same point in their life cycles.
Nintendo is also the overall top-selling U.S. software publisher so far for 2018, according to NPD data through November. This performance should receive an additional boost from the December release of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, which has become not only the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game of all time, but also the fastest-selling game in the Super Smash Bros.series, with U.S. sales of over 3 million units in just 11 days, according to Nintendo’s internal sales data.
“We are thrilled to see such a strong reaction from consumers in the second holiday season for Nintendo Switch,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We’re looking forward to delivering more excitement and smiles to our fans in the coming year and beyond.”
The following data from Nintendo of America is specific to the U.S. only:
- Nintendo hardware unit and dollar sales for 2018 are at their highest annual totals since 2011.
- Nintendo eShop sales have grown 105 percent over 2017.
- Evergreen Nintendo Switch games have set new milestones, with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe selling over 4 million and 5 million units, respectively. Super Mario Odyssey has sold over 4.7 million units.
- In addition to the fast-selling Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, other recently released games that continue to make a splash include Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!, which together total 2 million units, and Super Mario Party at 1.4 million.