Yesterday, we shared with you how Pokemon Detective Pikachu debuted at the box office in Japan last week. Now it’s time for a comparison with previous animated Pokemon movies in Japan.
In this article we will compare the box office earnings and number of tickets sold for the top Pokemon movies on their first two days premiering at theaters in Japan. In its first couple of days, Pokemon Detective Pikachu pulled in 457 million yen (USD4.1 million) and sold 317,000 tickets in Japan, which seems to be a pretty good debut.
When comparing Pokemon Detective Pikachu to other Pokemon movies released in the past, Pokemon Detective Pikachu is No. 7 in the top 10 best performing movies of all time. Comparison below:
- Pokemon: The Rise of Darkrai – 780 million yen / 742,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 5.02 billion yen)
- Pokemon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life – 673 million yen / 642,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 4.67 billion yen)
- Pokémon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions – 629 million yen / 601,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 4.16 billion yen)
- Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You! – 516 million yen / 436,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 3.55 billion yen)
- Pokemon the Movie: Everybody’s Story – 500 million yen / 440,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 3.09 billion yen)
- Pokemon Detective Pikachu – 457 million yen / 317,000 tickets sold
- Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction – 393 million yen / 360,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 2.91 billion yen)
- Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages – 384 million yen / 351,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 2.61 billion yen)
- Pokémon the Movie: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel – 324 million yen / 290,000 tickets sold (lifetime sales: 2.15 billion yen)
Based on the figures we can probably expect Pokemon Detective Pikachu ticket sales to hit around 3 billion yen after all is said and done.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.