Following up Pokemon GO’s virtual GO Fest this year, we have news on the upcoming August Community Day event which feature Magikarp.
The exclusive move for people who evolve Magikarp into Gyrados is Aqua Tail. This can be learned if you evolve Magikarp that day until 7:00pm local time.
There will also be special research available if you pay $1.00 to help Professor Willow learn about Mega evolution which is an upcoming mechanic headed to Pokemon GO.
This is likely why Magikarp is being featured this month since its evolution, Gyrados, can Mega Evolve in the 3DS Pokemon games. Check out the announcement below for more details.
August’s Community Day Pokémon is known for the following.
- Leaping over mountains after living for many years
- Surviving in any body of water, no matter how polluted it is
- Being an easy target for predators
That’s right—it’s Magikarp, the Fish Pokémon! Read on for more details about the upcoming Community Day event featuring what some call an underpowered, pathetic Pokémon.
Date + Time
Saturday, August 8, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Magikarp will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Magikarp.
- Evolve Magikarp during the event or up to two hours afterward to get a Gyarados that knows Aqua Tail.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
- It takes quite a bit of Candy to evolve Magikarp into Gyarados! Complete event-exclusive Field Research tasks to earn additional Magikarp Candies.
- There’ll be a special one-time-purchase August Community Day Box, featuring 30 Ultra Balls, an Elite Charged TM, six Star Pieces, and an Incense!
- For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Community Day–exclusive Special Research story Making a Splash! Follow Professor Willow as he learns about Magikarp and its epic Evolution journey!
Stay tuned for when tickets for the Making a Splash Special Research story go live! Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.
- 3× Catch Stardust
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours.
Trainers, let’s make a splash and celebrate Magikarp together!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) July 28, 2020