Looking forward to some Lunar New Year festivities, wherever you are? Well, Pokemon GO trainers will have some treats to enjoy too!
Following a series of moon-related teasers, Niantic has officially revealed more details about its upcoming events in Pokemon GO. In particular, trainers will be able to encounter certain ‘red’ pokemon more frequently, and also hatch Darumaka for the very first time! This event will start on 24 January 2020 (Friday).
Additionally, a new Limited Research event will feature the Unova region’s Minccino, along with other rodent-like Pokemon! Players will be able to dive in starting from 2 February 2020 (Sunday)
Here are the full details below:
Happy Lunar New Year! The Pokémon GO Lunar New Year event is happening once again, spotlighting various red Pokémon and, in celebration of the Year of the Rat, a Limited Research event featuring Minccino, the Chinchilla Pokémon. Take a look at the details below.
Pokémon GO Lunar New Year Event
It’s time to welcome in the new lunar cycle with red Pokémon appearing more frequently in the wild, lucky bonuses, and the appearance of a Pokémon not previously found in Pokémon GO: Darumaka!
Date + Time
Friday, January 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, February 3, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
- Certain red Pokémon will be featured. Charmeleon, Vulpix, Parasect, Voltorb, Jynx, Magmar, Magikarp, Flareon, Slugma, Wurmple, Corphish, Kricketot, and Foongus will appear more frequently in the wild!
- Gyashaa! If you’re lucky, you might spot a Gyarados in the wild. Will you be lucky enough to encounter the coveted red Shiny Gyarados?
- Darumaka will hatch from 7 km Eggs. Some red Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs, such as Shuckle and Foongus. Making its Pokémon GO debut will be Darumaka, the Zen Charm Pokémon!
- Gifts will have a chance of rewarding you with Rare Candies, so be sure to send and open lots of Gifts with your friends.
- Be sure to trade more often with your friends—the likelihood of becoming Lucky Friends will be increased.
- When you trade a Pokémon, there will be an increased chance it will become a Lucky Pokémon.
Minccino Limited Research
In celebration of the Year of the Rat, Minccino, the Chinchilla Pokémon, will be appearing in Pokémon GO for a special Limited Research event. Professor Willow has also uncovered that Minccino can evolve into Cinccino through use of a Unova Stone!
Date + Time
Sunday, February 2, 2020, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Field Research: Minccino Limited Research tasks will allow you to encounter Minccino.
- Pokémon that fit the theme of the Year of the Rat will be appearing more frequently in the wild. Look out for Rattata, Raticate, Pikachu, Sandshrew, Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, Sentret, Marill, Zigzagoon, Plusle, Minun, Bidoof, and Patrat.
- Minccino in 5 km Eggs: Minccino will be hatching more frequently from 5 km Eggs. After the event ends, Minccino will continue to be available in 5 km Eggs.
- Shiny Minccino will be available! If you’re lucky, you might encounter one!
Wishing you health, wealth, and luck during the Lunar New Year! Stay safe, and happy exploring!
—The Pokémon GO team