Athlon Games and SNK have finally revealed, via Weekly Famitsu, that Samurai Shodown is Switchbound this coming December in Japan!
Samurai Shodown will release in the region on 12 December 2019 for 6,345 yen. In addition, new information states that the game will run at 60fps on the hybrid platform. Each player will also be able to play using single Joy-Con for use in multiplayer set-ups.
Lastly, pre-orders will guarantee early buyers with a Samurai Shodown! 2, previously released for Neo Geo Pocket Color.
Check out the previously released trailer and details below:
Samurai Shodown, also known as Samurai Spirits, is a reboot of the classic 2D fighting game with beautiful new 3D graphics that retain the classic fantasy Samurai manga look of the series, while also bringing the series up-to-date with the latest cutting edge graphical standards.
After more than a decade, Samurai Shodown is back! SNK is rebooting one of its most successful series, carrying on the legacy of past titles with a new game that retains the same thrilling battles of past titles in a graphically advanced package. Samurai Shodown’s gameplay is driven by the tense atmosphere of being one strike away from death, and the exhilaration of defeating an opponent with overwhelming power and attacks. Taking place between the events of the original game and Samurai Shodown V, the new game carries on the legacy of the one true weapon-based fighter.
- Exhilarating Weapons-Based Combat – Samurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
- Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
- Unique Cast of Returning and New Warriors – Samurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
- All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
- Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.