Earlier this year, Shantae and the Seven Sirens developer WayForward announced a “Spectacular Superstar” update for the game – teasing a new slew of ways to enjoy the platforming adventure. Well, the wait is now over!
The new update is now live – adding 4 additional modes, extra story content, and optional convenience features to the adventure. Best of all, the update is completely free for those that already own the game.
Check out a new trailer and more details for each of the new modes below:
The “Spectacular Superstar” update delivers four new modes—Definitive Mode, Full Deck Mode, Rule Breaker Mode, and Beginner Mode—as well as extra story content and optional convenience features for the fifth and most recent entry in the fan-favorite Shantae series.
Originally released on consoles and PC in May 2020 and on Apple Arcade in September 2019, Shantae and the Seven Sirens already offers hours of action, platforming, and exploration—as well as an animated opening by the renowned Studio TRIGGER—as Shantae the Half-Genie seeks to uncover the secrets of Paradise Island. As Shantae, players use their hair-whip, animal transformations, dance abilities, and Monster Card power-ups to battle the looming threat of the mysterious Seven Sirens as well as the nefarious lady pirate, Risky Boots. With the addition of the “Spectacular Superstar” update, there are now five ways to experience the game:
- Definitive Mode – A more challenging “director’s cut” that features classic Shantae difficulty, with rebalanced item drops and magic consumption, as well as more-intense boss fights and new dialog with the Sirens before each battle.
- Full Deck Mode – Definitive Mode with a twist. Start with all 50 Monster Cards to customize Shantae’s abilities to your liking.
- Rule Breaker Mode – Definitive Mode without limits. You can equip up to 50 Monster Cards at once to gain ultimate power.
- Beginner Mode – Definitive Mode made simple. This easy mode makes it impossible to lose! Perfect for newcomers or those who just want to explore the world and enjoy the story.
- Legacy Mode – Experience the game in its original, unaltered form.
Further enhancements across all modes include improved dialog and the addition of map objectives and game hints, which can be toggled on or off via the Pause Menu. And for players seeking even more challenge, the unlockable Hula Costume (which offers more powerful magic in exchange for lower defense) is usable in all modes after the player has beaten the game at least once.