Famitsu has published that latest sales data for the month of May, revealing that the Nintendo Switch was once again the best-selling console in Japan, outselling its competitors for the 15th month in a row.
In total, the Switch moved approximately 141,953 units in Japan, almost three times the number moved by its closest rival, the PS4. You can compare the exact figures reported by Famitsu below:
Best-selling hardware, May 2019 (Japan)
1) Nintendo Switch – 141,953 (Last month: 183,397 sales, 1st place)
2) Playstation 4 (including PS4 Pro) – 49, 205 (Last month: 51,177 sales, 2nd place)
Moving on to software sales, although Days Gone for the PS4 continued to sit at the number 1 spot, the rest of the top 5 consists entirely of Switch titles. This includes Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at No.2, and Minecraft on Switch at No.3.
Best-selling software, May 2019 (Japan)
1) Days Gone (PS4) – Sony Interactive Entertainment – 56,689
2) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) – Nintendo – 51,011
3) Minecraft (Switch) – Microsoft Japan – 42,774
4) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) – Nintendo – 40,605
5) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) – Nintendo – 36,329
Finally, Famitsu also reported on the top three videogame publishers for May 2019 in terms of sales. This category was topped by Nintendo who managed to move over 326,000 units of software in total, more than both second and third place publishers combined.
Number of sales achieved by publisher, May 2019 (Japan)
1) Nintendo – 326,000
2) Bandai Namco Entertainment – 88,000
3) Sony Interactive Entertainment – 84,000
It seems that despite having a bit of a slowdown in terms of big first party titles on the console, Nintendo and the Switch are still doing pretty well for themselves in their home country. As E3 looms over the horizon, we look forward to seeing what they have in store for the rest of 2019.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.