Developer Chromatic Games have put up a Kickstarter campaign for the new cooperative, tower defense, action RPG Dungeon Defenders: Awakened.
On this new project, the developers aim to recapture the charm of what made the original Dungeon Defenders appealing to its fans. What’s more, the team plans to take the core gameplay and contents of the original Dungeon Defenders with upgraded visuals and mechanics on this brand new game. It also includes the Switch version as its base goal.
As it appears, Dungeon Defenders: Awakened will be set after the events of Dungeon Defenders II and will feature both familiar and new locations.
Here’s what the team had to say:
Here at Chromatic Games, we all agree — let’s go back to the roots of what made the original Dungeon Defenders so amazing!
This is the awakening of the franchise we feel it deserves.
If you’re interested, you can back this project on the Kickstarter page. You have until 4th April 2019 to back Dungeon Defenders: Awakened.
Check out the game’s preview below:
Travel back in time to when and where it all began: with the four young heroes banding together in their parents’ castle — only this time, they face a time-altering menace who could reshape the past, present, and future of Dungeon Defenders.
As much as we love the first game, though, Dungeon Defenders released nearly 8 years ago. There’s been a ton of fantastic innovations in game design since then. Combat, movement, user interfaces — we believe we can improve these in this new game experience, so we’ve asked ourselves:
“If a new version of Dungeon Defenders released in 202X, what would that look like? How would that feel? How do we modernize the formula while keeping the charm and staying true to the original?
Defenders, how doth we design a dope game for thee?”
Our answer – Dungeon Defenders: Awakened
Creating a uniquely nostalgic, charming, and modern experience is our top priority. But how do we get there? With YOUR help, of course! We want you to be involved in the Chromatic development process, and we want to make this game for you, OUR MOST VALIANT DEFENDERS.
- UNREAL ENGINE 4: WE CURRENT GEN NOW, DEFENDERS! This opens up the possibility for unparalleled visuals, cross-platform support and faster development!
- FOUR PLAYER SPLIT SCREEN LOCAL MULTIPLAYER: This needs no description!
- NINTENDO SWITCH: Not only released on PC, but also Nintendo! Joy-Cons! Motion controls! Portability! Huzzah!
- NEW STORY: Travel back in time as our young Apprentice, Squire, Huntress and Monk thwart the Old Ones’ latest scheme!
- NEW BOSSES: Sharpen your blades and magi-fy your staves, you’re going to need it!
- IMPROVED ATTACKS: Slashing, slamming and shooting animations that pack a punch!
- BUTTERY SMOOTH MOVEMENT: Slide and glide with great finesse as you defeat the hordes you doth protest! WE RHYME GEN NOW!
- BEAUTIFUL USER INTERFACES: Be in awe of ALL the menus!
- VISUAL FIDELITY++: Think Dungeon Defenders II, but on steroids.
- STAT IMPROVEMENTS: Understand how gear affects your gameplay with greater clarity!
- VASTLY BETTER INVENTORY: Organization never looked so good!
- GAMEPAD ACTUALLY BEING GREAT: A more responsive and modernized control scheme that also takes full advantage of the Nintendo Switch.
- ACCESS INVENTORY ANYWHERE: The power of the Forge is in your pocket!
- TACTICAL MAP OVERHAUL: Get all the information you need to be a legendary tactician!
- TWITCH INTEGRATION: With a seamless chat overlay and the ability to vote on game-changing mutators, Twitch viewers will influence the fate of streamers and potentially spawn their doom.
- BETTER CHAT FUNCTIONALITY: Communicate strategies on slaying the armies that await!
- TONS OF QUALITY OF LIFE: Mini-map improvements, mana acquisition, lane wisps, multi-hero experience — there’s so much quality of life it’ll affect you IRL!
- AND SO MUCH MORE! (NEW HEROES? TOWERS? PLEDGE NOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!)
This is just the beginning. We want to make sure this feels like Dungeon Defenders, except in a greater way than before! The goal is to recreate what made the original such an epic adventure, while giving it that modern polish and cranking it up to 11.
Don’t be mistaken — this isn’t all. There’s so much more we want to do to make this a legendary experience for you, our Ultimate Defenders, but we need your help!