The SNES Classic has barely gotten into the hands of the public for a day and yet hackers have manage to extract Star Fox 2’s ROM and spread it on the net.
One individual on Reddit, s3phir0th115, even manage to get it to play on the real SNES Console (Link).
To answer questions about the setup:
- It’s the dev cart I posted earlier. I flashed a 27c160 EPROM with the rom extracted from a SNES Classic.
- That’s a RGB modded SNES Jr hooked up to a framemeister via RGB, hence the HD.
- If you didn’t see the other post, here’s what the dev cart board looks like: https://imgur.com/a/MPpzW
- It’s a SuperFX 2 dev cart.
- Here’s a video of someone else’s of it running, in his case a SuperFX 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnxxu2lEC_I
- I’m not going to share the rom, I just wanted to give the good news that it does run.
While there is no question that hackers will eventually find a way to hack into the SNES Classic to extract this exclusive game, no one expected it to be this soon. For those who are temporarily unable to get your hands on the SNES Classic, you should be able to find the ROM out in the wild to emulate, but as always, the game works best where it should be — on the SNES Classic.