While Nintendo kept its brand alive on TV, it looks like the competition sped far ahead of the company for the past 4 weeks.
According to VentureBeat, Nintendo dropped back to the third most-viewed gaming brand on TV during from 16 August 2020 – 15 September 2020. This was primarily due to a huge advertising push from Sony (420.6 million ad impressions) and Square Enix (375.3 million ad impressions) for the new Marvel’s Avengers game on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
Meanwhile, here’s how Nintendo fared:
- 362.5 million TV ad impressions generated by 21 spots that aired over 2,000 times
- Top commercial by impressions (54.2 million) was “How We Play: Mario Kart 8” (seen below)
- Nintendo was the only top-five brand that did not prioritize reaching a sports-loving audience
- Spots aired on Nick, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network
- Top shows included SpongeBob SquarePants, The Loud House, and The Amazing World of Gumball
We’ll report back as we hear more in the future. Stay tuned.