Going Poke-crazy ever since the launch of last year’s Pokemon Sword/Shield? Well, so are many folks on the e-commerce platform eBay!
eBay has released new data on the sales of Pokemon TCG cards on its platform during 2019 – with over 500k copies being purchased by users overall. Additionally, last year saw a whopping 19 million searches for the phrase ‘Pokemon’ on the e-commerce site.
Along with that blurb, eBay highlighted the 5 most expensive cards that sold on the platform from Jan. 2016 to Feb. 2020 – all of which went for more than $10,000 each! Here they are below:
- Pokémon Ultimate Charizard Collection, PSA 10/9, 1st Edition – $18,500
- 2005 Japanese Umbreon Play Promo Gold Star Holo, PSA 10 Gem Mint – $15,000
- 1st Edition Shadowless Charizard, PSA 9/10 – $14,500
- 1999 Pokémon Game 1st Edition Holographic Charizard [4/102] – $14,000
- Pokémon Japanese 20th Anniversary 24k Gold Pikachu Promo Card Giza Tanaka – $12,500
*(‘PSA’ refers to a grading system, with 10 being the best condition possible)
eBay also revealed some other tidbits related to the Pokemon franchise on its site. Namely, the most popular Pokemon in terms of sales were Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee, Mewtwo, and Snorlax (in that particular order). As for video game sales, Pokemon Sun/Moon remained the most purchased Pokemon titles on the site since 2016. Finally, the highest successful auction for a Pokemon card on eBay pulled in an incredible $195,000 or so!
What do you think of these figures? Feel free to share with us below!