Pokemon, which started off as a video game in 1996, is the largest media franchise in the world in terms of revenue.
As of 2018, the Pokemon media franchise comprising of video games, trading cards, anime, merchandise, and licensed deals has grossed USD59.1 billion worldwide. Following behind are Hello Kitty, Star Wars, and Mickey Mouse & Friends.
The Super Mario franchise, owned by Nintendo, is one that has grossed USD27.1 billion. It’s the fifth biggest media franchise in the world, showing how powerful Mario is in media.
Check out the list of top 5 media franchises below:
1. Pokemon (year of inception 1996), grossed $59.1 billion
2. Hello Kitty (1974) $50.3 billion
3. Star Wars (1977) $43.7 billion
4. Mickey Mouse & friends (1928) $35.7 billion
5. Mario (1981) $27.1 billion