Having trouble using Local Wireless Battles? Can’t play Smash online? You might be missing Patch 1.2.0.
Nintendo Support has released the latest update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and it must be installed in order to use the game’s Internet features.
All players must be using the same version of the software to participate in Local Wireless Battles so if your friend has updated you would need to do so as well before commencing a Local Wireless Battle with them.
Here is some more useful information about the patch.
Replay data from previous versions is not compatible with the newest version. Be sure to convert your replays by going to Vault in the main menu and selecting “Convert to Video” before updating the software.
Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.
If the system is connected to the Internet, the update will download and install automatically.
- Connect the Nintendo Switch console to the Internet.
- Return to the HOME Menu and launch the game.
- The update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once the update is installed, the newest version number will be displayed on the title screen.
As for the patch itself the description says that the update has adjusted difficulty of approaching challengers as the only Offline gameplay adjustment. There aren’t any details at the moment describing in what way they have been adjusted.
In Online adjustments, Quickplay matchmaking has been tweaked so that ques that meet your preferred rules are prioritized. This means that there is a higher chance of the lobby that you join actually matches the rules that you set as preferred. But the patch notes warn that this can lead to longer wait times.
The connections for Battles Arenas have also been stabilized.
And finally in miscellaneous we have:
The following fighters had specific adjustments and changes:
- Game balance adjustments.
- Various gameplay fixes.
- The following fighters had specific adjustments and changes:
- Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle
So there isn’t much specific information on what has been changed for these characters but those will likely be discovered as players try them out after installing the patch.