Following an earlier tease, Niantic has confirmed that Mega Evolution will be launching for Pokemon GO on August 27th.
Alongside this news, Niantic has also officially revealed many details about how Mega Evolution will work in the game, including Mega Energy, which Pokemon will be able to Mega Evolve first, and more.
You can read a summary of the key details below as originally compiled by Serebii:
- Coming tomorrow, you’ll be able to Mega Evolve Pokémon, specifically Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise and Beedrill.
- To do this, you need to collect Mega Energy for each Pokémon. This is done by defeating Mega Raids and the faster you complete Mega Raid Battles, the more Energy you will receive.
- Mega Raid Battles will appear soon featuring Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise and these will give the Mega Energy for each Pokémon. In doing so, Niantic are removing 2 Star and 4 Star raids from the Raid Table in order to include a focus for Mega Evolved Pokémon
- Mega Evolution lasts only a limited time, but after you Mega Evolve a specific Pokémon for the first time, the cost to Mega Evolve it will reduce.
- When Mega Evolved, you can participate in Gyms, Raids, Trainer Battles and GO Rocket Battles.
- Shadow Pokémon and Clone Pokémon cannot Mega Evolve.
- You’ll be able to pick which Mega Charizard you wish to get when you Mega Evolve
- If you use Mega Evolved Pokémon in Raid Battles, any moves of the same type as that Pokémon will get boosted
- There will be a Mega Pokédex to keep track of Mega Evolved Pokémon
- There will be Special Research as well as events throughout September that will focus on Mega Evolved Pokémon.
- September 1st to 7th is focused around Mega Raids,
- September 11 to September 17 focused on Battles with Mega Evolutions
- September 22nd through September 28th there will be events about Buddy features with Mega Evolution.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.