It seems like Nintendo could be planning to revive Game Boy games in the future – but in an unexpected manner.
Siliconera has dug up a recent Nintendo patent for a Game-Boy like enclosure for smartphones. While there’s no indication of how far this development has gotten today, it seems like Nintendo could have some plans for the classic handheld’s games in the near future.
Check out some images and highlights of the patent below:
- Patent was filed on March 16, 2018.
- Features a Game Boy-like casing for touchscreen devices.
- Game Boy casing allows for button inputs to be sensed by the touchscreen beneath.
- This is accomplished with a conductive sheet within the cover, making it possible to play whether bare-handed or wearing non-conductive gloves.
- Part of the casing is opened where the a Game Boy’s screen would be.
- The casing also leaves open a small window for the front camera and device speakerphone.
- Top and bottom of the phone are not obstructed.
- This “may be attached to other electronic equipment such as a tablet terminal that does not have a telephone function.
As usual, take these patents with a grain of salt. Until Nintendo has anything official to announce, we don’t know whether these schematics will ever be fleshed out for real.