Following Media Create’s Japanese sales report on the final week of 2018, today we have the video game sales data for the period between December 31, 2018 and January 6, 2019, the first week of 2019.
First, lifetime sales for Nintendo Switch hardware have exceeded 7 million units in Japan. The console moved 199,982 units on the first week of 2019, an increase of roughly 20,000 units from the previous week.
The top 7 bestselling games of the first week of 2019 are all Nintendo Switch games. See the list below (title, sales in the week, lifetime sales):
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (258,974 | 2,614,160)
- Super Mario Party (95,102 | 936,140)
- Pokemon Let’s GO Pikachu/Eevee (68,308 | 1,399,595)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (55,758 | 2,055,899)
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 (47,176 | 179,438)
- Splatoon 2 (43,033 | 2,882,819)
- Minecraft (42,845 | 549,754)
The first week of 2019 marked a few milestones. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate crossed 2.5 million copies sold at retail, while Super Mario Party exceeded 900,000 units. Dragon Quest Builders 2 Switch has sold roughly 100 copies more than the PS4 version.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments!