Nintendo has just dropped a feature filled system update, with two particularly huge features, the ability to capture gameplay video and the ability to transfer save files, albeit both with their own shortcomings.
The promised feature to allow gamers to capture video will only work with selected games such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2. It will also be limited to the 30 seconds at a time. By long holding the capture button on the left Joy-con, the last 30 seconds of gameplay will be saved onto the gallery for sharing.
Game save transfers though welcomed are also very limited in its feature, only allowing a one-time, one-way transfer of the data from one Switch console to another. This means that any transferring of data will destroy the data on the source. While this may come in handy if you intend to get a new Switch console, those who wish to backup their save files will have to wait a little more.
Adding on to the list of features are, pre-purchasing of upcoming digital games, news channel update, match software update (which allows your friends to update their games to the latest version locally without WiFi if you have the latest update), and general bugs and fixes.
With this update, the Switch experience will just keep getting better and better. If you have any feature that you would like or comments on this system update, we’ll like to hear it in the comments. For more information on the update, you can visit Nintendo’s Support Page here.
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
This feature will be supported by future game releases
- News channel updates
The news feed has been updated with a new look.
Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including: Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed. The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.