NPD Group’s Mat Piscatella has shared some exciting news about the Nintendo Switch’s performance last month in the United States.
According to NPD Group’s data, the Nintendo Switch is now Nintendo’s second bestselling system in the US based on “tracked history” – surpassing even the Nintendo DS in total lifetime dollar sales. Meanwhile, the console also once again emerged as the bestselling system in the US during February 2021.
Out of the Top 20 best-selling titles for the month, 7 of them were Nintendo-published titles such as Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury also emerged as the bestselling Nintendo Switch title during February 2021.
You can check out more details in the charts below, along with a few extra tidbits shared by Piscatella:
February 2020 Top 20 Overall
2021-to-date Top 10 Overall
February 2020 Top 10 for Switch
- February 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories reached a February record $4.6B, 35 percent higher when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending totaled $9.3B, 39 percent higher than the same period in 2020.
- Monthly sales of video game hardware increased 121% when compared to February 2020, to $406M. This is the highest total for a February month since the $468M reached in February 2011. YTD HW spending totaled $725M, an increase of 130% compared to a year ago.
- Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars in February. Unit and dollar sales of Nintendo Switch hardware in February were the highest for any hardware platform in a February month since the Nintendo Wii in Feburary 2009.
- Total lifetime dollar sales of Switch hardware now exceed the Nintendo DS, making Switch Nintendo’s 2nd best-selling platform in U.S. tracked history (Nintendo Wii ranks first). Switch is currently the 7th best-selling hardware platform in lifetime U.S. dollar sales.
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury debuts as the best-selling game of February. The title also ranks as the 2nd best-selling game of 2021 year-to-date, despite the lack of digital sales tracking for Nintendo published titles.