Niantic has announced the next wave of real world Pokemon GO scheduled to take place in the first half of 2020.
From February 6-9, the Taiwan Lantern Festival event will take place in Taichung, Taiwan. Pokemon GO Safari Zone St. Louis, Liverpool, and Philadelphia are scheduled to be held March 27-29, April 17-19, and May 8-10 respectively.
Full details below:
Today, Niantic, Inc. revealed its initial lineup of locations for Niantic’s global live events in 2020 and the first-ever details on the economic impact of its 2019 events. Niantic’s real-world augmented reality mobile games, Pokémon GO, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and Ingress, have transformed how players interact with the world and each other. Through the power of large-scale live events, hundreds of thousands of players from around the world have come together to play games, explore the real world, and share experiences.
“Over the last 7 years, live, real-world events have been central to Niantic’s goal in leveraging technology to create interactive experiences that foster exploration and discovery, active and healthy lifestyles and lasting friendships,” said Michael Steranka, Senior Manager, Live Events at Niantic. “Niantic’s large-scale real-world events have had a true and clear positive economic impact on tourism, bringing people from around the world together for a weekend of adventure. We were incredibly impressed by the number and quality of entries in the #NianticLive2020 program and, as a result, are excited to announce the addition of Liverpool, Philadelphia, and St. Louis to our live events schedule in 2020.”
Niantic’s live events have had a direct positive economic impact on the cities that host these real-world events driving an estimated $249 million in tourism revenue across Chicago, Montréal, and Dortmund in 2019. The events, Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Chicago, Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Dortmund and Pokémon GO Safari Zone Montréal, saw substantial attendance, significant distance walked and an increase of tourism in addition to other notable economic impacts during each event including:
- Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Chicago
- $120M in estimated expenditures from attending players in and around the city of Chicago
- 64,000+ trainers attended the four-day event, with triple the participation from the 2018 event
- Attendees walked 290,000 km, catching more than 15 million Pokémon
- Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Dortmund
- $56M in estimated expenditures from attending players in the city of Dortmund and surrounding Ruhr Region
- 86,000+ Trainers attended the four-day event walking more than 400,000 km
- More than 200,000 Trainers played in the region of Dortmund during the event
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Montréal
- $71M in estimated expenditures from attending players in and around the city of Montréal
- 39,000+ Trainers from all around the world attended the three-day event walking 166,000 km
- Players traveled from 60 countries and all six permanently inhabited continents to attend
Additional information can be found at www.nianticlabs.com/events/
In 2020, Niantic will continue to build upon its innovative real-world games Pokémon GO, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and Ingress with immersive interactive experiences unique to each game in all-new locations around the world. Of the new locations Liverpool, Philadelphia and St. Louis were hand-picked following their submission to #NianticLive2020 which invited cities and local governments around the world to apply to host large-scale real-world game events in 2020. Niantic’s initial lineup of 2020 live events include:
Trainers can look forward to an array of Pokémon GO events taking place throughout the first half of the year and across the globe including:
- Taiwan Lantern Festival in Taichung – February 6-9
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone St. Louis – March 27-29
- Tickets will go live starting January 24 at 8:00 AM CT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Liverpool – April 17-19
- Tickets will go on sale starting January 31 at 8:00 AM GMT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Philadelphia – May 8-10
- More information about tickets will be announced soon
To learn more about Pokémon GO and upcoming events in 2020, please visit www.PokémonGOLive.com/events. Trainers can also stay up-to-date on Pokémon GO announcements and the latest real-world events by following the game on Twitter or liking it on Facebook.
Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Witches and Wizards can look forward to joining the second Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Fan Festival later this year. Additional details on the event will be announced soon.
To learn more about Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, visit www.harrypotterwizardsunite.com and follow the game on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Agents around the world will be able to experience an all-new live event structure in Ingress taking place throughout the first-half of the year and across the globe including:
- Perpetua Hexathlon – February 29
- Asia-Pacific Region: Christchurch, New Zealand; Adelaide, Australia; Naha, Okinawa, Japan; Bengalaru, India; Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Europe: Porto, Portugal; Milan, Italy; Lille, France; Bratislava, Slovakia; Ruse, Bulgaria
- Americas: San Antonio, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah; Miami, Florida; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Tijuana, Mexico
- Lexicon Hexathlon – April 25
- Asia-Pacific Region: Colombo, Sri Lanka; Taichung City, Taiwan; Bogor, Indonesia; Baguio City, Philippines; Songpa District, Seoul, Korea
- Europe: Moscow, Russia; Edinburgh, Scotland; Pilsen, Czechia; Budapest, Hungary; Valencia, Spain
- Americas: San Francisco, California; Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Victoria, BC, Canada; Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
- Requiem Anomaly Munich – May 9
To register for the Perpetua Hexathlon and find additional information on Ingress and future events please visit: www.ingress.com/events