In a recent Game Informer interview, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai discussed how Spirits came to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Due to the lack of development resources in creating character models, the development team came up with the idea of Spirits, in order to provide a solid single-player experience. He said that the Spirits system is a “fun but not repetitive” experience for gamers.
Sakurai also pointed out the good and bad Spirits bring to the game:
Cons for this system are:
- Because there are so many fighters, we can’t tell stories for each individual fighter in detail.
- We can’t support creating exclusive stages/terrains (i.e. side-scroll action game terrain, etc.) for it.
- We can’t add new rules, etc.
On the other hand, pros are:
- We can utilize a variety of characters (But not featuring figures anymore)
- We have a large pool of music, stages and fighters.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.