The Mario Maker Direct has revealed an amazing amount of content coming to the game when it releases at the end of next month.
Super Mario Maker 2 has dozens of new tools and features to design courses. Here are the ones shown in the Direct.
Water Level + Lava
– 3 different speeds
Dry Bones Shell
- 10, 30, and 50 value coins.
New Sound Effects
- Single screen collaborations
Diagonal Conveyor Belts
- Slopes – Create angled surfaces by just picking a direction and setting the length. Gentler slopes are an additional option.
- Angry Sun – Remember the angry sun that attacked Mario in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game? It’s back and ready to put the pressure on players in this new game.
- ON/OFF Switch – Hit an ON/OFF Switch, and all the red and blue blocks in the course will swap! Setting them up wisely will help players create tricky puzzles and obstacles.
- Water Level – The water level in Super Mario Maker 2 can be adjusted in the Forest theme, so only half the course can be underwater if that’s what the player wants. Water can even be set to rise and fall at different speeds over time.
- Banzai Bill – The red variations of these classic Super Mario enemies have a homing function, and chase poor Mario wherever he goes.
- Co-op Making: Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend to create a course together, side by side.
- To Be Continued…: There are more secrets in Super Mario Maker 2. Players will have a blast experimenting with all the tools and features they can use to create.
There will also be a Story Mode with 100 courses which follows Mario on a quest to rebuild Princess Peach’s Castle. Clearing courses will earn Mario coins which let Mario reach more areas in the construction site
These areas have characters that will offer jobs
New Course Themes include:
And new music by composer Koji Kondo.
The Sun and Moon course parts will have different effects as well such as wiping enemies from the screen or making Goombas float.
This new game style has features that aren’t available in the other games styles. 3D World will let you use Cat Suits, clear pipes, crates, warp boxes, spike blocks, ! Block, Blinking Block, Track Block, Mushroom Trampoline, Piranha Creeper, Skip Squeaks, Koopa Troopa Car, Charvaargh, Pom Pom, Banzai Bill, and Cat Bowser will be available.
- Super Mario 3D World: Players can choose to create their courses in the style of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros. U games and a new one based on Super Mario 3D World. Some new features unique to this style include:
- Cat Mario – Cat Mario can climb walls, scratch, slide and pounce on enemies. Players can even use Cat Mario to climb up the Goal Pole!
- Clear Pipe – Clear Pipes can be placed in any shape the player wants, but they have to be careful, as enemies can also slide through them.
- Koopa Troopa Car – Hop in this sweet ride and zoom through the course. Players just have to make sure not to crash!
- Track Block – The Track Block will follow any path the player draws. The blue one starts moving when the player steps on it.
- Piranha Creeper – The Piranha Creeper follows the path that the player draws, extending its dangerous spiky stem around the course.
- Who’s Who in Super Mario 3D World?: A cast of other familiar faces will also make appearances in Super Mario Maker 2, so players are in for a treat!
Search for levels by using tags and leave a comment if they are enabled.
Downloading courses lets you play a course anywhere even without an internet connection.
In Course World, each player will have a Maker Profile and there’s Maker points earned when players like your course.
- Course World: An online hub where players can play and share courses, as well as play together, Course World is available for players around the world who have a membership to Nintendo Switch Online. Players can browse by Popular Courses, New Courses or even search for specific tags like “puzzle-solving” or “autoscroll” using a set of filters. Once a course is downloaded, it can be played anytime – including offline! Players can also personalize their Mii character’s appearance using items like shirts and hats that unlock after completing various objectives. In Endless Challenge, players will try to complete as many Course World courses as possible on the difficulty of their choice before getting a game over. Earning impressive scores in this mode might even get the player on the Leaderboards!
- Play Together: In Course World, players can play courses with people all over the world. When playing with four players, players play as Mario, Luigi, Toad or Toadette.
- Multiplayer Versus – Four players face off in a side-scrolling showdown in this online multiplayer mode. Each player will be assigned a different character, then race each other in a randomly selected course. The player who clears the course first wins and increases their Versus Rating.
- Multiplayer Co-op – In this online mode, up to four players must work together to beat the course. If one player finishes it, everyone wins!
- Nearby Play – If up to four players each own a Nintendo Switch system and the Super Mario Maker 2 game, one can set up a virtual room that the others in the same location can join to play together on their own systems. Only the player setting up the room needs an internet connection.
What do you think about this Direct? Let us know in the comments.