Last week, Famitsu magazine shared a quick update from creator Toby Fox about the development status of Deltarune Chapter 2, along with a few new screenshots.
Today, Toby Fox has shared a much more detailed version of that development update on the game’s official website. There, he elaborates even more about how much progress he has made on Chapter 2 of Deltarune, including a very rough roadmap covering Chapter 2’s estimated completion time and beyond.
He also posted English versions of the screenshots shared in Famitsu:
You can read some key highlights below, or check out the update in full here.
- Toby Fox thanked everyone once again for supporting and encouraging him over the past five years since Undertale’s release.
- He re-confirms that Deltarune will be released in Chapters, and that it will be a lot harder to make than Undertale due to being a lot more complex.
- As of a few months ago, Toby Fox has completed “eadable outlines for every chapter in the game, including first-pass dialogue for almost all the cutscenes, examples of the music, etc.”
- Using Deltarune Chapter 1 as a base, they have been working on Chapter 2 since May 2020, and its overall content should be done by the end of this year.
- Toby Fox has been working with a small team to develop Deltarune, and he is grateful for their help due to severe wrist and hand pain making it difficult for him to work.
- He has some interest in expanding the current team to include more people, provided they can work well with him and have the right qualifications.
Deltarune Status Estimate (very rough estimates)
- Chapter 2 (04.15.20 – 08.13.20)
- Phase 1: Design
- Main Design: 100% (dialogue, etc.)
- Initial Setup: 100% (stuff involved setting up people to make the game, adding debug tools, documentation, etc.)
- Phase 2: Implementation (05.01.20 ~ 08.13.20)
- Art: 90%
- Cutscenes: 80% (90% are started, needs 2nd pass)
- Bullet Patterns: 70% (enemies are mostly completed, bosses are about 40% done, needs 2nd pass)
- Non-Bullet Battle Elements: 30% (Some ACTs are done and enemies are fightable, but interactive ACTs need to be completed and polished and the bosses aren’t programmed outside of bullet patterns)
- Audio: 80%
- Maps: ??% most are started or placeholder, most need 2nd pass. NPC interactions are completed in all spots where written.
- Other: 65%
- Phase 3: Finishing
- Balancing: 0%
- Bugfixing: 0%
- Translation: 0%
- Porting: 0%
- Chapters 3 and Beyond
- Phase 1: Design
- Story and General Game Progression (first-pass): 100%
- Cutscene Dialogue (first-pass, lacking cutscene instructions): 95%
- Map Design (textual): 70% (varies per chapter, earlier chapters totally completed)
- Map Design (drawn): 0% (this takes a lot of wrist energy so I don’t do it until we start programming)
- Enemy Design (conceptual): 90% (all bosses are known)
- Enemy Design (bullets / visual): 80% (varies per chapter, earlier chapters totally completed)
- Music (concept): 95%
- Music (completed): 50%
- Visual Design:
- BG Concept (first-pass): 75%
- Important Character, Bosses (first-pass): 100%
- Phase 2
- Sprite Art: 20%?
- Other Content Creation: 0%
- Phase 3
- Release Readiness: 0%
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.