It seems like Bubsy the Bobcat is far from death’s door.
Accolade has announced Bubsy: Paws on Fire! for Nintendo Switch and other platforms. Choice Provisions, the developers behind Runner3, will be helping to make the auto-runner action game a reality.
This is the long-forgotten mascot’s second attempt at gaining relevancy again. The first attempt was Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back, which was generally loathed by critics – and did not release on Nintendo Switch.
Check out a teaser trailer and overview (courtesy of Gematsu) below.
Bubsy: Paws on Fire! marks Choice Provisions’ first foray into the highly competitive world of bobcat-based video games. It’s also set to be Bubsy’s biggest adventure yet, with features such as:
- Four playable characters, each with their own unique mechanics! Fly and shoot your way through the air as The Woolie, take it underground with Arnold’s bonus levels, or run your way to victory with Bubsy and Virgil Reality!
- An all-new story featuring the unlikely alliance between Bubsy and his archrivals, The Woolies!
- Over 100 levels set across three different worlds!
- Three boss battles!
- A unique combo system and set of leaderboards for every character!
- A shop with costumes and cosmetics, all of which players can unlock just by playing the game. There are no in-game purchases!
- Unique character dialog for every level!
- A variety of collectible types, ensuring maximum replayability!
- The return of Oinker, Terri, Terry, and many other characters from previous Bubsy incarnations! We’ve even included Virgil Reality from the Bubsy pilot–we dug deep!
When I told my agent I wanted my next game to be my best yet, he reminded me I was no longer his client and had his number changed. Luckily the suc-… er, developers at Choice Provisions still agreed to partner up with me. It’s amazing what a couple of sharpened claws can get you in this world!
Choice Provisions Reacts…
After some productive meetings and even more productive threats we agreed to work with Bubsy on creating an auto-runner worthy of his stature. And when that was done we scrapped it and made a good game instead.