4gamer has published their annual game creator comment compilation for 2021, which features an entry from none other than Masahiro Sakurai.
This year’s compilation marks the first time Masahiro Sakurai has participated, having declined offers in previous years to avoid fueling speculation about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In line with most other creator comments, Sakurai discussed the games, people, and other non-game franchises that left the greatest impression on him for the year.
You can find a translation of the key details below, via Siliconera:
- Masahiro Sakurai mentioned Inscryption as a recent game that impacted him the most.
- He noted that the PC card game made by Daniel Mullins includes many meta features and exceeds the usual limits in games.
- As for the person who affected him the most in 2021, Sakurai mentioned Hidetaka Miyazaki.
- He praised the FromSoftware director for having top-class balance and continuing to influence the gaming industry.
- Sakurai also noted Marvel Cinematic Universe‘s remarkable activity as the non-game entertainment franchise that left the greatest impact on him.
- While most developers teased their upcoming projects or mentioned their recently released games in the 2022 aspirations, Masahiro Sakurai did not have anything to announce in particular. Instead, he reiterated what he wrote in his final Famitsu column.
- He noted it will take some time to reveal what he is doing.
- The game creator mentioned he would not mind if people even end up forgetting about him for a while.
- Sakurai also wrote that he is unsure whether he will join 4Gamer‘s coverage in the coming years, because he does not really like deciding the best games.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.