Niantic has officially launched Mega Evolution for Pokemon GO.
Players now have the option to Mega Evolve a select number of Pokemon in Pokemon GO using Mega Energy, including Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard, and Beedrill.
New trailers and details about this feature and how it works were also shared, which you can find below:
You can now see some of your favorite Pokémon in their Mega-Evolved form by utilizing Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO! Mega Evolution enables certain Pokémon to reach an additional Evolutionary stage and gain incredible power for a limited time.
Select Pokémon can Mega Evolve using a newly discovered resource called Mega Energy. You can collect this mysterious substance by completing Mega Raids, which are Raid Battles that feature Mega-Evolved Pokémon. The faster you defeat the Raid Boss, the more Mega Energy you’ll receive. You can Mega Evolve any of your Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Beedrill once you have enough of their corresponding Mega Energy. Plus, some of these Pokémon will also appear in Mega Raids.
After you’ve Mega Evolved a Pokémon, that Pokémon will require less Mega Energy to Mega Evolve each time thereafter. Mega-Evolved Pokémon stay in their Mega-Evolved forms for a limited time. While your Pokémon is Mega-Evolved, you’ll be able to do the following with them.
- Battle in raids. All other Trainers’ Pokémon in the raid will receive an attack boost, and Pokémon with moves whose types are the same as the Mega-Evolved Pokémon’s types will receive an additional attack boost. Please note that Pokémon can benefit from attack boosts from only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time.
- Battle in Gyms. Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon can’t defend Gyms.
- Battle Team GO Rocket.
- Battle your friends. Mega-Evolved Pokémon are extremely strong! Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon will not be able to battle in the GO Battle League.
- Make it your buddy to see it appear on the map!
- Take a snapshot! Be sure to share snapshots of your Mega-Evolved Pokémon on social media using #GOsnapshot!
- Be sure to open the app to start the new Mega Evolution–themed Special Research, A Mega Discovery, and join Professor Willow as he learns more about the phenomenon of Mega Evolution.
The month of September will be filled with events celebrating the introduction of Mega Evolution to Pokémon GO. Here’s a look at what each of these events will feature:
- Tuesday, September 1 to Monday, September 7: Complete as many Mega Raids as you can! Gather Mega Energy to Mega Evolve your Pokémon and experience the raw power of Mega Evolution firsthand.
- Friday, September 11 to Thursday, September 17: Hone your battle skills with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon! Take part in Gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, and Trainer Battles (excluding GO Battle League battles).
- Tuesday, September 22 to Monday, September 28: Become buddies with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon and spend time with it! Remember to take snapshots and share them with us on social media using #GOsnapshot.
Stay tuned for more details on these events!
What do you think? Let us know in the comments.