Nintendo America COO Reggie Reveals His Secret Past
Before Reggie Fils-Aime started working at Nintendo of America as Chief Operating Officer, he had a very colorful life and career.
In the September 2017 issue of Cornell Alumni Magazine, Reggie revealed more details about his personal life that were never previously mentioned in the public sphere. For instance, Reggie was born to Haitian immigrants who moved to the United States due to conflicting political views with Reggie’s grandparents.
Reggie attended Brentwood High School from 1975 to 1979, and graduated with distinction from Cornell University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Economics. He also worked at Pizza Hut, Guiness Import Co., and other big companies before setting foot at Nintendo.
Check out more details on his personal life below.
Personal Attributes and Interests
- Fils-Aime is married to Stacey Sanner, his longtime girlfriend whom he met in his previous position at VH1. He has three children from a previous marriage.
- Fils-Aime was born to Haitian immigrants, that moved to the United States due to the conflicting political views of Fils-Aime’s grandparents.
- His maternal grandfather, a doctor by training, was in the Haitian government.
- His paternal grandfather was in the opposing military.
- Both of his parents were college-educated within the curriculum in Haiti.
- His mother worked in retail (in the United States) as the lead sales representative in a fine-jewelry store.
- His father became a machinist.
- Attended Brentwood High School 1975-1979
- Was in the Sonderling Basketball Varsity Team 1977-78
- Was in the Sonderling Soccer Varsity Team 1977
2nd from left on 4th row from bottom
- Majored in Applied Economics and Management at Cornell.
- Fils-Aime graduated, with distinction, from Cornell University in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Economics.
- Pledged Phi Sigma Kappa (became president)
Most would say Reggie is a good public speaker. In one interview with Ezra, Cornell’s Quarterly Magazine Summer 2015, he shares this on the subject:
- Worked as an undergraduate teaching assistant in management and finance.
- Began his career at Procter & Gamble. From 1983-1991 he was in the food and beverage division.
- Senior vice president, Panda Management Co.
- Senior director national marketing, Pizza Hut
- Launched the Bigfoot Pizza
- US marketing chief, Guiness Import Co.
- Oversaw all brands, including Guinness stout, Bass ale, Harp lager and Pilsner Urquell, as well as managing brand relationships with third-party owners in the United Kingdom, Jamaica and the Czech Republic.
- Chief marketing officer, acting managing director UK operations, Derby Cycle Corp.
- Directed worldwide sales and marketing for eight separate brands, including Raleigh, Diamondback and Univega, but also was acting managing director of the company’s United Kingdom operations.
- Senior vice president marketing VH1, MTV Networks, 2001—2003
- Engineered the channel’s redirection to young viewers that resulted in an overall 30 percent rating growth, and he created and executed the marketing plans for The Concert for New York City, which raised more than $35 million for disaster relief in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.
- Executive vice president sales, marketing, Nintendo of America, Inc., 2003—2006
- President and COO, Nintendo of America Inc., Redmond, Washington, 2006—
- Executive Officer, Nintendo Co., Ltd., 2016—
Professional awards include:
- A Clio
- Two Gold EFFIEs
- An AICP award for advertising excellence
- Silver Edison from the American Marketing Institute.
- Named to the Marketing 100 by Advertising Age in 1998