Athlon Games and SNK have finally confirmed that Samurai Shodown is Switchbound worldwide in Q4 2019!
Samurai Shodown, also known as Samurai Spirits, is a reboot of the classic 2D fighting game with beautiful new 3D graphics that retain the classic fantasy Samurai manga look of the series, while also bringing the series up-to-date with the latest cutting edge graphical standards.
The game takes place in the late 18th century, after the events of Samurai Showdown V and prior to the events of the original game. As revealed, there will be 16 fighters all in all, 13 of which are returning classic characters and will be joined by 3 brand new characters. In addition, more characters will be available via the post-launch DLC’s.
Featuring Japanese voice-overs, Samurai Spirits will support a myriad of languages for its subtitle (English, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Pan-American Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese).
Check out the videos below courtesy of friends over at Gematsu:
PAX East 2019 Trailer
After more than a decade, Samurai Shodown is back! SNK is rebooting one of its most successful series, carrying on the legacy of past titles with a new game that retains the same thrilling battles of past titles in a graphically advanced package. Samurai Shodown’s gameplay is driven by the tense atmosphere of being one strike away from death, and the exhilaration of defeating an opponent with overwhelming power and attacks. Taking place between the events of the original game and Samurai Shodown V, the new game carries on the legacy of the one true weapon-based fighter.
- Exhilarating Weapons-Based Combat – Samurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
- Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
- Unique Cast of Returning and New Warriors – Samurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
- All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
- Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.
- 0:20 – Story Mode Introduction: Galford
- 2:04 – Story Mode Battle: Galford vs. Earthquake
- 4:49 – Story Mode Battle: Galford vs. Haohmaru
- 8:05 – Story Mode Introduction: Haohmaru
- 9:48 – Story Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Galford
- 12:09 – Story Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Genjuro
- 17:02 – Story Mode Introduction: Nakoruru
- 18:52 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Jubei
- 21:27 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Jubei (Rematch)
- 24:35 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Earthquake
- 29:13 – Battle Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Genjuro
- 32:42 – Battle Mode Battle: Earthquake vs. Charlotte
- 36:42 – Battle Mode Battle: Genjuro vs. Jubei
- 41:39 – Battle Mode Battle: Galford vs. Charlotte